Cadillac logo

Cadillac Motor Car Division is a part of General Motors Concern, which specialized in the production of luxury cars. The company received its name in honor of the famous Antoine de la Motte Cadillac, who once founded Detroit. The company's headquarters is located in Detroit, Michigan.

The first car Cadillac Model A has been shown at the New York auto show in January 1903. Almost immediately, the young company was joined to General Motors. On July 29, 1909, the all necessary documents were signed on which the Cadillac Motor Car Division became the division of GM.

Support of strong Concern had an effect on the engine development too. In 1915 the company introduced a V8 engine with the power of 70 hp (52 kW) at 2400 rpm and 180 ft-lb of torque, which allowed its vehicles to reach the speed of 65 miles per hour. It was more than tolerated by the majority of the then roads. In 1918, Cadillac introduced the first two-plane crankshaft for the V8 engines. In 1930, Cadillac developed the first V16 engine with overhead valves heads. Its power is 165 hp (123 kW), one of the most powerful and quietest engines in the United States. Development and introduction of the V8, V16, and V12 have helped to make name Cadillac as "standard for the whole world". The later model of the V8 engine, in 1949 set the standard for the entire US auto industry. The company has been and remains a leader in the implementation of various technical innovations.

More makes